A lesson in love - a life well loved

When i was a child I had an aunt that was severely disabled. When She was young she lived with my gram and grandpa but with aging parents and her growing needs she had to be put into a nursing home. It was called Madonna. I remember my family had to make her a ward of the state because they couldn't care for her financially but my gram always made sure she had nice clothes visited her and there wasn't a family dinner she wasn't at and they'd bring her home on sundays and other times. We called her "retarded" because that's what they called it back then. No disrespect meant, it was what it was. She was different than us, but we loved her.

I can remember going to Madonna and the smell of urine, I remember being sad to leave her. There are just some things as a child you never understand, and as an adult you don't understand them any better. And that's the truth. I think my faith in God gives me a peace that really does surpass all understanding. I remember that God is good, and sovereign and I accept that He trusts the strongest with His most precious gems.  My aunt was a jewel in our family, she taught us how to love.

I guess in this day and age and I think about how far we've come, and how much further we need to go.  I see people who stand up and fight for what they believe in. They talk about it on Facebook and they get loud and big. You know when people listen the hardest? When you whisper.

From my own experience, when there are loud noise, a back down, back away, and cover my ears. Small sounds like birds chirping, waves rippling, I stop and listen intently at those things.

I am taking a lesson from my aunt today, while her words were very few and far between, her actions and love they made and impact on my life that is forever stamped.

She was the hardest hugger. A lesson I live out. Let my love be silent in words but in strong in action, may my laughter be loud, and may my hugs always be hard!

Comments