The beautiful children of Uganda

The next few days are going to be difficult. 

Yesterday we went into the prisons and we met street kids. 

It is going to be hard for me to get out of my thoughts. I have seen things I can never un-see. I know and understand the magnitude of it all.

I know I can't save all the people of Uganda but I also know that I am not called to do nothing. I often wish that I didn't have such a burden for injustice and need. I often wish that I wasn't so serious and that this was a box I check off. I'm not a Christian and I need to go on a mission trip. It is not that way for me. God calls me to do this work, even for just a week, and the honor and magnitude of caring for people is not lost on me. 

My eyes looked into the eyes of those boys yesterday that were dirty, and had ripped clothing and were hungry. A young boy looked up at the pastor and had a sad face and rubbed his belly. He was hungry. He was fed, but this cycle will start over. The boys were so beautiful yet, their was a hunger, a need, in their eyes. 

We met boys who have been rescued from the streets. Their lives are transformed. They are clean and fed and in a loving home and getting schooling. I looked in their eyes and I saw peace. There is barely enough food for them, but they eat and they share what they have. They are loved by a beautiful couple that takes care of 55 boys. They get used instruments donated and they teach them music, it helps in the transformation. 

I wish there was a switch that I could flip and just laugh and move on in my life but God didn't create me like that. I know what it is like to go hungry for a short while, but I can't imagine a life of that.

I didn't take pictures of these children because to me they are not objects to be looked upon and felt sorry for, they deserve to be respected but their lives are etched in my heart forever. 

I've seen some very hard things in my life. But those street kids, their lives, they matter to God and something must be done. 

Sending love from Uganda.

(I'll tell you about the prison ministry later, that also wrecked me). 


Comments