Being real


In my devotional today by Shauna Niequist asked two questions... 

do you choose charm over true connection? 

Is there an opportunity today to choose difficult unglamorous true love ?

The answer to the first question is... absolutely. Almost always. I'm constantly surrounded by people and often I don't trust people readily. Time and experience has proven to me that people don't belong in our "circle".  Time and experience has taught me that people can’t be trusted and that not everyone needs to know everything, and most people don’t really want to know our true selves, they want the “hi how are you? I’m really good” part of us.  And after years and years of practice at blending in because my family thought I was too much (of a whole lotta things and not enough of others) I can “sales it up” in most situations.  There are times that my face gives it away though.  It betrays me when someone says something dumb or when someone is feeding me a line of BS.  There are, however, sometimes when I can’t hold in how I feel, everyone knows I am a crier and a loud laugher.

The answer to the second question is… I hope not. LOL!!!  That really unglamorous love is hard for me.  Letting people in hoping they won’t hurt me is hard.  As my friend Katie says “you don’t make 10 year friends in 1 year” but I do know that we must be open in year 1 to get to 10 years.  So if today I am called to difficult and unglamorous, well that’s ok with me.

So today, my prayer is that my joy will be overflowing and let my love be true.

Proverbs 31:30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
    but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.



Comments