I wish I had one more day...


To be honest, there aren't too many people I care to impress these days.  Especially since I'm working on taking care of me.


Lately I've been thinking about my Aunt Dee. I loved my Aunt Dee and she loved me but to be honest, I probably didn't appreciate her as much until she was gone.  She taught me so much. I love that she taught us all how to love so much.

She taught me about how great the library and reading are. I read all the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew mysteries.  She taught me to always check the water at the spout BEFORE using the diverter to make it a shower. 

I spent Saturday with my "mom's family" which consists of Aunt Dee's kids.  They are our only family on my mom's side, and I love that they love us so much. There aren't really words to express how thankful I am.

My cousin Kathy makes me Sauerkraut and Kielbasa at every function.  It's my favorite. And I'm also thankful for that.  I got to take the leftovers home from Saturday, it wasn't a whole lot, apparently it was everyone else's favorite too.  I decided to fry up some onions and potatoes, add some extra cabbage and then add the leftovers... Aunt Dee would have been so proud.  it was delish and it was enough for 2 meals for each of us.  And I didn't have to buy anything from the store, everything was in the fridge or pantry.  (Aunt Dee could make a great meal on a small budget - she taught me pretty much everything I know about that!) 

Today I made blueberry jam and I remembered how she used to serve jam with a spoon not a knife and I thought it was so silly as a kid, until she explained that it's easier to get out of the jar and make it to the toast.  So simple, so true.

I think she would be so proud of me. She was so excited about Phyllis (she was truly a great surprise!) and I wish she got to know her.  She only met her (Aunt Dee died when Phyl was 6 weeks old)

I'm so thankful for the years I had with her, I am so thankful for all the things she taught me and that I've been able to pass on to others I love.

If I had just one more day...  I'd hug her a million times and ask her a million questions... and I still wouldn't eat bologna salad because that's just gross ;)

Comments