It's just stuff

Some friends of mine moved to Florida from Michigan. With one box.  One box of important things. 
I’ve been in awe of that since I saw it.  Things are not important, people are.
I moved from Lincoln Park to Dearborn, with a lot of stuff.  Stuff that I’ve been giving away.  Stuff isn’t important. 
When going to Africa and saving money to pay for my trip, often I asked myself, do you really need that?  If it was “that” or Africa, which would you choose?  Africa.
Stuff isn’t important, people are.

By most standards, I don’t own a lot of clothes, and mostly wear the same ones over and over.  Except T-shirts, don’t judge me by the amount of t-shirts I own. 
I know most people don’t think about things like this but if you could only pack one box of belongings, could you do it?  What would you put in that box?

I’m challenging myself these days… what’s important?  Stuff isn’t important and yet… I have a lot of it.
Out of the overflow of your heart, your mouth speaks.  Or maybe the overflow of your possessions your heart speaks.

The funny thing is that just the other day there was a really great deal on a Kindle Fire.  $15 less than usual.  And you know I had it in my cart to buy it. And then I thought “what are you doing? You bought one once and you gave it away because you never used it!”  Truth.  I don’t need one but for some reason saving $15 was appealing. How about this?  I save $35 and dont buy something that I don’t need! LOL .  Deleted out of my cart.  And even looked at it the next day… same price.  Step away from the Amazon Shopping cart.
I have always kind of prided myself that I can keep my grocery bill pretty low, but I’ve come to discover that what I save now may cost me in the future. Cheap food is full of sugar and garbage and it leads us to an old age of doctor visits and too much time in the hospital.  We are what we eat, so we shouldn’t be cheap, easy, or fast (unless it’s home grown).  I save money on groceries to buy things I don’t need. That makes no sense when I really think about it.

I’m working on being intentional in all areas of my life.  It’s a little painful sometimes but overall it’s worth it!  The things of my heart matter, people matter.

Comments