Calculators and flashbacks

I got a calculator when i started in sales. Big buttons, basic functions. 

Recently someone told me i needed a new one. Mine is old.

I love calculators.

Yesterday i was thinking about this little gray and red calculator i carried with me in my purse when I’d go grocery shopping. I’d put the amount of money i had in my purse and I’d subtract each item from the total. 

 Yesterday had been an overwhelming day. As i drove to Blessed Hope i thought about how i used to have to do that and memorize prices because if i accidentally hit “c” I’d clear out the entire order and stand there and recalculate.

Those days seem far away and just like yesterday all in the same breath. 

It is not lost on me how God’s grace and provision has carried me. I know that as a single mom I’m automatically a statistic but I’m one that i like to read. 

So many people have helped me over the years and i think of them so many times as i pay it forward. 

Today i took the day off because i needed a little break before “Christmas weekend”. Today I’m delivering groceries to a family so that they have food to eat over the school break and i get to deliver presents to people i love. 

I know there were times when i could barely afford to eat. Sometimes i didn’t. For a brief time we even had to share a room at a friend’s house and without her, we would have been homeless. 

It could have made me hard. But it made me greatful. I pulled away from my house yesterday thinking about how perfect our house is for us, how much i love it. 


As crazy and stressful as 2017 has been, I’m thankful. My eyes are fixed on Him.

Comments