Lessons in Juarez 

Not often do i talk about my work or politics on my blog. Mostly because people are always on the offensive.

This past week was one for the books and I’d like to share my heart a little.

I spent a few days in Juarez Mexico and I’m not sure how much you know about Juarez but it’s a pretty dangerous place. I’ve known people car jacked there, kidnapped.... it’s scary. Rarely do i stay in Juarez past sunset. (This week i has my first and last exception). Going there makes my heart ache. Unless you’ve been to a developing country i can’t explain to you the poverty. And what’s very sad to me is it’s just over the border from the United States. The smog is terrible and anyone who thinks the air clears up at it’s US bordering  is only kidding themselves. The people are poor but they are kind and they share what they have. And... you can’t flush toilet paper so you can imagine what the bathrooms smell like every where you go 😷 

This time when i went, 10 minutes before we left, 6 people were shot and killed. Less than one block from where i was. You can only imagine my horror. Not only for those poor people and their families. But for myself. “Get me the heck out of HERE” which wasn’t easy because the traffic is crazy and roads were shut down. I said “take me back to Detroit where it’s safe” (which is arrogant, i know )

I don’t know why but i thought about “the wall” and how arrogant those who think we need a wall are. If i lived there I’d do anything to move to the USA. Who am i that i was blessed to be born here from my family to live where i do? Only by the grace of God. That grace is not lost on me. 

All this political stuff, politicians taking our money with the premise they are making America great again? It makes me nuts. They are stealing from the poor to make the rich richer. Wanting to build walls to keep people out. That’s horrible. You know what i think is the best policy when you have so much and people need help? Build a bigger table and invite people to join you.

Love.

That’s the answer. 

Love your neighbor.

But who’s your neighbor? Is it the person in the House next to you? Well do you love them like Christ called you to?

Or is it people in Ohio? They are our neighboring state? Maybe as long as they dont like OSU (im kidding people, i can’t be serious for too long)

Maybe it is Mexico (or Canada)

Only you and your heart can determine that.

While I was in Juarez and scared i thought of the mommas and the families who live in a place that seems scarier than Detroit. And Detroit ain’t no joke. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been in some terrible situations in Detroit, and maybe I’m desensitized to it, but it was worse there. I was safe in a car with a driver and people praying for me. 

I’ve been dreaming about what’s next. What does God want me to do NEXT. One thing i know is that God is asking me to change the world. The square feet around my feet. What exactly that means I’m still not sure so illl keep dreaming.

If i learned anything from this lesson, i learned to be thankful, i learned to be empathetic, it was reinforced that love is the answer, and it starts with me.

Today. Right now. 

Comments