Learning self care

Admittedly I really struggle with self care.  I think that YOU should do it but for myself I really have to fight for it.  I mean sometimes it seems like it's more work than just not doing it. 

This is how my brain works... 

I am already busy, I barely have times to get the things I need to get done, done AND now you want me to stop what I am doing and doing something for MYSELF when I've got all this stuff going on.  ARE YOU CRAZY?!?  that's just more to do. 

Now if you told me you were practicing self care I’d say good for you! But for me... not so much.

Last week i decided to go to Trader Joe’s and get myself some flowers and get some groceries

I know grocery shopping doesnt seem like self care but i love grocery shopping and i love flowers and my friend went with me so it seemed fun!  

I’ve been taking time to bring some rest and joy to my days!

I even went to the movies last weekend, saw Infinity Wars. I won’t tell you that i might have fallen asleep while they were trying to remove the stone from Visions Head. 

I’ve been missing Haiti so much that i made rice and beans and chicken and sauce on Monday. It wasn’t an emotional eating day just made some of my favorite things and had leftovers and thought of a million memories of people i love!

I’ve been puddle jumping and slide sliding to bring joy to my days.

I won’t lie, This season Is hard and i don’t know when it’s going to get easier, but I’m trusting God to get me through it. That saying “don’t tell God how big your problem is, tell your Problem how big your God is”.... I’m there.

I’m looking up instead of hanging my head in desperation and defeat.  I still have moments of crying (you know me) but i feel through the emotions and then i move on to what’s next.

I’ve been wanting to go to Philly for a few years, since i saw Creed 😂. So i booked a ticket, got a ticket for so cheap (want to come with me?😂) it’s a quick weekend away for a break and I’m hoping i can go and the crazy subsides just for two days. My heart needs to travel. I need some quiet and some fun. I need to explore new places and just relax. I need to take care of my heart (and not worry if anyone thinks I’m a jerk for taking a break for a minute).

I need to be filled so i can help others. It’s a weird thing about me, even though I’m an extrovert, i am recharged by spending time by myself. It’s a weird introverted tendency i have. But it’s not weird, its how God wired me. I love people but i love being alone. Only child, single mom, it’s my life. It’s how i recharge to take care of all that i am entrusted with.


Everyday we learn new things, I’m learning to take care of myself and not feel selfish about it.

Comments