Lessons from my car

Lessons from my Equinox

I emailed the CEO OF GM because i was desperate. My 2016 Equinox  left me stranded for the 2nd time in less than a year and it only has 61,324 miles on it. That’s really not a lot miles friends, it just isn’t.  I live in the motor city and we drive.

I bought my vehicle because i drive all over and wanted something new and dependable. Something that would keep me safe while driving to some scary places in Detroit while i served or drove to and from serving. I don’t typically lease because of all those miles. 

I decided to go for the GM EQUINOX. (Beware when you see a commercial that says “won awards in initial quality” that just means when it launches - quality really matters at 60k miles not 10k- lesson learned they are marketing geniuses). I worried about buying a GM, it’s an American Automotive company that has been known for some pretty significant recalls. I decided to go for it, i rolled the dice. 

Just like in craps, i lost. (Though I’ve never played craps but this was a lesson i won’t forget.)

In less than 24 hours i received a call from someone who had received my email from
their CEO. Admittedly i was surprised. I was desperate when i sent it, many acts out of desperation go without answer. Wendy listened intently and said she would look into and see what she could do. I got a call the next day. She said there was nothing they could do, “they fulfilled their obligation of the warranty and were not bound to do anything further”.  Disappointing to say the least. 

A little back story. In 2001 i bought a Toyota for $15000. I bought it 8 years before my daughter would turn 16 with the intention of giving it to her. I did pass it along. We had the car for 11 years when it was involved in an accident, the pay out: $5500. After ten years the car held over 30% of its initial value.  
2016 equinox cost $27k. Less than three years later it’s worth $11,500. 

That is a sad comparison, my friends. 

I will keep this car for a few more months, even if the Chevy nameplate has fallen off (even my car is embarrassed to belong to the GM Family) until i can find something dependable. 

Now that I’ve told you all that, you know what I’ve learned, and I’ve learned a lot.

Don’t buy a GM vehicle, they don’t stand behind their vehicles and they don’t hold their value

The executives of the company don’t stand behind their product, they do what is easy, but not what is right.  I didn’t wrote the letter to get a brand new car, i just didn’t want to roll over negative equity, a rebate or something.

The executives of the company have one face to the public and another behind closed doors. After i told people about my letter, i heard so many stories about their CEO that weren’t so great, they didn’t Happen to me so i can’t verify if they were true or not). But it taught me a lesson. The truth is i want who i am to be who i am even when no one is watching. That’s the true test of character.

I’m a smart woman, i can handle my business and my car whoas. I got this. This experience has made me stronger, built good character in me. It has taught me to dig deep for joy when I’d like to slam my fist into a counter. 

I’ve learned my lesson. (I’m going back to Toyota or maybe even Honda). No more American OEM cars for me. 

I’ll just leave you with this...


It’s one thing to receive a Government Bailout when a company is in trouble but no one can help you when you’re morally bankrupt.

Comments