Now that I have seen....

Not very often do I find myself in a position that I'm paralyzed with fear.  And yet, it happened yesterday.

Chalk it up to the stuff that just doesn't happen to other people.

I was driving home from the most glorious day, got off 94 at Central because the freeway was backed up and it's a quick hop over to McGraw from the exit.

I'm driving down the service drive at Tarnow and this woman is screaming and holding on to a man and she's just screaming.  I was on the phone so I told my daughter I needed to hang up and call 911 but it happened in such a blur and the street is one way so I had to go down Chopin and then go around the block to get to her.  I wasn't at all sure what was going on but before I called the Police I needed to figure out exactly where I was to call.  By the time I went around the block she was picking up her stuff and the man was no where to be found. 

She was crying "he took all my money he took all my money, he just left me here".  It seems as if she was a prostitute and he was a customer and the whole transaction went wrong.  If that kind of situation could go right. 

I didn't know what to do.  Do I let her in my car?  Is it safe?  I was frozen.  I asked her if she wanted me to call the police, she said no.  She didn't ask for money and I didn't offer.  Maybe I should have, I was in shock.

I left, because I didn't know what was safe to do.  Most of the houses were burnt out and I didn't want to end up in one.

It was a terrible situation.  I hate not knowing what exactly to do and my brain and body were exhausted from a very busy day. 

I can tell you this, I will talk to someone about Street Ministry and how to respond and what to do and what not to do. Its one thing to not know but now I have seen so I am responsible.



Comments