bridges over poverty 

yesterday i went to a class/seminar called "Bridges over poverty"


I can’t even. 


My brain, my heart.


You know what i learned? It’s not just about money. It’s about hope. That never even occurred to me until yesterday. The truth is, Hope was my best tool in my tool box, and i didn’t realize how much i used it. 


Getting above the poverty line (family of 4 is ~$24k) is not enough, it’s about self sufficiency which in this (PA) area is about $71k and i haven’t looked it up in the Detroit area but it’s probably about the same. 


It’s not about just pulling your boot straps up and getting a good job. Poverty (I’ll be referring to the family of 4 #) is $12 an hour. Self sufficiency is about $35k an hour. How long does it take to get to self sufficiency from below the poverty level. It’s not an exact science.


My experience? About 9 years. 


Did you know i was a statistic? I lived below the poverty line. I’m thankful i had family but at times i worked 4 jobs to get out of it. Did you know i went to be hungry? There’s so much I have been thinking of since the class. I’m overwhelmed.


I got an education and yes i worked hard but mostly, i had hope. I am blessed by the grace of God. His love and favor are abundant in my life. 


Yes, I’m a statistic. A good one but it could have been the opposite. 


My brain and heart are spinning about what to do with all this information. I know God is going to use it. I mean He already has just yesterday and today. 


There’s so much to learn so much to share. 


I’m curious and excited to see what God will do next!!


But mostly I’m so thankful.


PS. I’m so thankful to have gotten away. I don’t think i realized how much i needed it 

Comments