Lessons in Grace

I am constantly amazed by the lessons I learn in the most unexpected places.

Yesterday was our day to serve at BH (aka Blessed Hope for almost everyone else).

We had a beautiful young woman who was a little aggressive and maybe a little hangry.  To be honest, I am not sure of her mental state.  I don't say this to be at all funny, it's just the truth. 

A lot of times I ignore aggressiveness when I'm serving people because I understand the gravity that comes from desperation when you don't eat on the regular.  The truth is that I eat on the regular and I'm crabby sometimes.

Yesterday, this one particular woman, had me outside my comfort zone.  I tend to be a "knock it off" or "don't do that" in some weird mom voice.  I recruited the strongest woman I know and she defused the situation. 

A little while later, the woman came and apologized for what she said and her behavior.  I accepted her apology.  Because there was no reason not to. We all have bad days (ok I do!), we all say things we don't mean, or mean them when we say them and regret it (ok, maybe this is just me!). She seemed a little surprised.

It got me to thinking about how when I don't extend grace and forgiveness, really I am the one I hurt.  If I don't look past the worst parts of someone, I am no different than the world. 

I see God's redeeming grace and love all around me.  Sometimes I choose to see it and sometimes I look past it (that's dumb!).

Some people say to me "they are so luck you serve".  No, I'm the one who gets the blessings.  I never stop learning, I never stop growing, I never stop loving.  It's a gift, a very generous gift given to me by God, to serve Him.

Comments