Update on my 5K challenge!

I did my 11th 5k yesterday! 

As you may know (or not), in October of last year I decided that I would do 12 5ks in the next year!  I thought it would be great to do the Detroit Free Press 5k as my last one because that's the one I started on the journey.

I thought through how I would accomplish my goal.  I thought actually doing 1 per month was a perfect way to accomplish it!  I didn't hold myself to that because it's Michigan and we have winter...

October - Detroit Free Press
November - Hungry Turkey (this was the worst one because of the way it was organized)
December - Jingle all the way with Katie
January (Which I did on Dec 31) - this had the worst weather but I actually loved it and felt like a beast completing it in the POURING rain
February - none
March - Paczki Run in Hamtramck and Rock CF with Rachel Marple and the Fantastic 4 (Shelley and the boys joined us too)
April - Meteor 5K (part of Martian Marathon) with the Fantastic 4) and one in Kalkaska with Autumn - it was freaking cold!!)
May - Super Hero - this was so damn fun and we got capes!!! with Beckie and the Fantastic 4 and Charlotte Mason  with The Braggs
June/July - nope!
August - Rock CF with Pure Detroit

And that's 11 BUT WAIT!  THERE'S MORE!

#12 I signed up for Unshakled with my friend Michelle because it benefits AWOL and organization I make lunches for to get sex-trafficked victims off the streets.

and lucky #13 will be the Detroit Free Press (that I signed up for in January as a gift to myself)  so I will exceed my goal!

the whole point of this post is actually coming up...

yesterday I logged on to the Pure Detroit website that had pictures from the race.  (one thing I've learned is when you see people with cameras start smiling! because you never know when they will catch you!) and I looked at the pictures and initially thought "OH GOD THOSE ARE HORRIBLE" because I saw all my imperfections!


But I posted them anyway because well... I'm a dork.  But my friends saw a strong, resilient woman who sets goals and smashes them! 

My friend Beckie during the race said she went to a leadership conference and one of the speakers said "what would your body say to you if it could talk to you?" to be honest my body does speak to me, my joints hurt when I eat too much garbage, I'm sore when I over exert myself, my back and hips hurt because they are carrying too much! 

So it's time to really start treating my body like the treasure it is!  To see it as a gift. Also to start seeing myself as strong and beautiful and loving! 

It's time to begin again!

Comments