Setting my heart upon love

I’m sitting in my basement trying to get up enough energy to make lunches and hygiene kits for AWOL drop off tomorrow. 

If you wonder if i ever stop the answer is no. I mean sometimes but my brain and heart work together to keep me going.

I started this AWOL journey in a strange way. Everyday i drove past this area that had sex traffickers and i’d go to the police station and tell them they needed to do something. A couple times they passed me off except when i looked them deep in the eye and said “I’m not going to stop coming in here until you do something” they had that wide eyed emoji face.  I kept going back, even chased a police car down. Lol that was a sight.

Then maybe a year ago i got off on the wrong exit and witnessed a woman having her purse/money stolen by her “John”. I didn’t know what to do. That was the worst feeling. 

And now here we are, about 8 months into the journey of lunches and hygiene kits. So many have joined me by donating I’m so thankful that i don’t do it alone!

After a long day of serving i met a women in the park who was sexually assaulted and hurt.  And it broke my heart.

I love the City. All of it. Yes, i love the restaurants and events. I sure do love that it’s a lot safer than it used to be. 

But the City it breaks my heart. And i remember why i don’t stop. Why i cheer on teachers and read books, why i love teenagers, why i make lunches. It’s why i serve. It’s why i love people. 

That brokenness it drives me to make things better. 

Ralph Waldo Emerson said “Beware what you set your heart upon. For it surely shall be yours. “ 

I will set my heart upon love; making the world better. The world around me. It may seem like it is an exercise in futility but i will never stop. 

God has shown me incredible love and grace. And i will keep going until i can no longer breathe. 

Comments