Reach out 

I started my day overwhelmed by a meme i saw that said "interrupt anxiety with gratitude" and spinning in my head thinking "I’m trying to be grateful but if I’m trying then I’m not really" and being overwhelmed by how ungrateful i was. How about that for a mess! 

So most of the time i have no problem being grateful (thankful). Most of the time my heart is overwhelmed with thankfulness. I’ve cried because a bunch of little rugrats scream my name down the hallway or a sweet girl tells me her mom cooks - chicken and ketchup 😂.

I see the glass as half full and even overflowing. I also see all the ways someone can knock it over. This actually comes in handy when I’m out with teenagers because I’m constantly asking them to move their drink so they don’t knock it over. Lol 

Every once in awhile life gets the best of me. I am effected by my circumstances. By the people around me. I can usually turn it around by counting my thankfuls. But then there are days. The worst days where hormones meet those days and a cyclone hits and i can’t seem to CTFD my insides. I want to slide into bed and not leave. I want to protect myself from outside influences. But that’s not good for me either. I know i need to be brave and reach out. 

And i have. I’m learning to be vulnerable and brave. 

I’m daring for great things. 

Yesterday my dear friend (who lives outside of Grand Rapids) asked if i wanted to meet for dinner. Thankfully my calendar was open. (Side note: having an open calendar is one of the greatest successes in my life - managing my time) and i said yes. I’ve never been so happy for 13 year friends. While i know i could have reached out to people who live close(r) i was thankful she asked and thankful i could, and the truth is i think we needed each other. 

Life is hard people (to quote Kid President) and we need each other. We need to do things like spend hours in the car giving ourselves a time out on our way to spend time with each other (or just be by ourselves). I don’t know what works for you, but that works for me. I spent time listening to podcasts, praying, listening to answers, dreaming (of a food truck and a city block community garden). 

Keep going friends, even though it is hard. Call me. Reach out to others. Let’s be there for each other. 

I haven’t written in my blog in a long time. It sounds lame but it was so much effort to type. Broken wrists make stuff like that difficult. My heart has a lot to share, and so hopefully you’ll be seeing more of me (if you choose).






Comments