Challenging myself

Can i just challenge you for a minute? Because I’m challenging my own perspective  these days, to learn and grow.

I’d like to possibly challenge your perspective  (I’m not saying YOU think this way but some do).

I was praying for each of my kids up here this morning and it was great to watch “ease” fall into them as the spirit of God worked. We all come to these retreats with something, even the leaders (me it’s the everyday stress of life).

I was praying and just asking God for the world to see our kids the way He does, and the way i do.

Honestly, i don’t care if “my kids” don’t look like me and i don’t care if they do. I see their hearts. And sometimes because Of the lessons that the world has taught us (yes me too) there are sometimes walls built up and it makes those hearts hard to see.

My challenge for you is that when you see a any kid who isn’t white walking somewhere, whether it’s a street, a mall, a store, anywhere that you look past what the world sees “a trouble maker”, see a kid that loves God, that doesn’t let me carry my bags(yesterday i literally had to sag “just give me my bag” lol ) that says “yes ma’am” not because he’s made to but because they have manners.

A lot of my kids could be on the losing end just because of the skin color they have, they must work a little harder because they aren’t afforded the same education living in the intercity, say as their suburban counterparts. When driving if they get pulled over, it’s more volatile than me. I remember being in the car with one of the kids from my old ministry (he’s an adult now 😂) and we got pulled over (because i was speeding) and he asked me if i was scared... i said no, he said he was, and i said that must be a terrible feeling. It’s the real world whether you want to believe it or not.

Don’t please say “i don’t see skin color” that’s dumb, because when you say that, in my opinion, you’re negating the feelings people of color have, and they have those feelings with good reason. You are undermining their beautiful uniqueness.  I challenge you to see their skin color, and respect it. It comes with a price, one they did not deserve to pay.

Comments