On to the next year!

Every year on my work anniversary I look back at the last year and think about TGW/TGR (Things Gone Wrong/Things Gone Right).  I think even further back than that sometimes. 
 
 
A couple weeks I took some leadership training and it did some evaluations.  In a few of the cases I thought about how some of my past managers would deal with some situations.
 
 
It has made me think about a lot of things.  Around 8 years ago I left an employer.   
About 5 1/2 years ago a former boss from that employer asked me if I me I was still at the second company, I said "yes, I really like it", her response blew.me.away.  She said " "i can't believe you made it".
 
To be honest I can't believe anyone would say that to someone but I really can't believe a woman would say that to another woman.

 

I remember how the words cut like a knife. I was shocked by the words spoken.

Well here i am. Not just making it, not just enduring, I'm thriving. I'm growing everyday and learning.

 

When people say hurtful things to me, it's more about them then it is about me.

 
People say "Margie shoots it to you straight".
 
Yes, it's true i do. But i know that i need to earn the right to speak into someone's life. I know that truth doesn't mean being harmful or mean.
 
People matter and the words matter. I could have been defeated by those words, but instead i took my career to the next level remembering to treat my team with kindness and help them to grow.
 
This is my fourth year as a Sales Manager at a completely different company and I'm not the same sales manager i was when i started. I sure have learned a lot! And I'll continue to grow because i will always be open to learning.

I think right now one of the things I am learning is to walk confidently in my strengths and humble enough to know I have a lot to learn from everyone I come in contact with on a daily basis.

 
I often learn the best lessons from people around me. Sometimes it's how I'd like to be, and sometimes they teach me the kind of person i never want to be.

Comments