Gifts

 I often feel that people look at me and think "she just does food" (and that might not be how they think but sometimes that's how they treat me) 

I'd like to say this about myself (and i don't usually do this) but it is a lot to prepare meals. I have cooked meals for over 100 people for a week! with no stove or oven on mission trips with a lot of preparation and planning. And that's nothing! You should see the women in Uganda, literally food for 1500 people with a fire and a pot!  Now that's badassery (and they let me have the honor of cooking with them when I was there, food is an international language)

And... you can't live without eating. Go ahead try it. You'll be a HANGRY mess before you know it.  And you'll have no friends.  Food sustains us, gives us life, it comforts us. 

Yes, i can tell you in my career I've made my boss oatmeal everyday.  Yes, I did. 

But also I've lead a team that cooked 500 meals with a partially functioning industrial kitchen, which seemed like a dream.

I used to think the gift of cooking wasn't that important because "everyone eats" but not everyone can cook well.  I mean, I'd like to point out where did Jesus spend His last times with the disciples?  At a meal.  Literally there are pictures ALL OVER THE WORLD showing that picture.  You know, someone had to prepare that bread.  And while that person is not mentioned anywhere in the bible, doesn't make that person (probably a woman) less important. 

I look at people's gifts and think "wow, that's amazing" because I can't do that. I don't look at their gift and think it must not be much because I can't do it, that gift wasn't bestowed upon me. 

 

Comments