Authentic: Connection - Feelings

 

Picture from here

I am the biggest chicken when it comes to feeling.  Somewhere along the way, someone made my feelings something to be ashamed of.  I’ve cried my whole life.  And you know what else I’ve heard my whole life?  “stop crying”

Those words have taught me to stuff my feelings down and distance myself from pain. Which is terrible.  It has made me sick inside.

Today my dad goes in for ANOTHER procedure.  And I’ve distanced myself from the pain that comes from all the terrible outcomes that could happen.  There just doesn’t seem to be time to feel all those feelings. 

I was thinking about that today as I choked back tears after dropping my dad off at the hospital. 

Matthew 5:4 says “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted”.

The other day I looked up the word “Blessed” in this scenario and it means “made holy”. 

Grief doesn’t seem to just happen once, its an ongoing process.  The comfort from grief seems to come a little at a time for me.  It is tempting for me to run hard and fast from grief.  It is hard to feel pain. But the truth is that shutting down to not feel grief also means that I miss the authentic joy of going through life with an open heart and feeling all the feels while holding on to God.  There is great joy in trusting God to be all things to me, a Healer and a Comforter, and a Friend.

Holding back all the emotions, closing myself up causes me anxiety because that’s not how I was meant to live my life.  I was meant to live my life with heart wide open, I know that, and it’s time to go from knowing, believing…  and to actually living that way. 

Heart wide open

Loving Fierce

Here's to feeling, my friends, may it be hard, and worth it.  May it be all it is meant to be, in order to love with a heart wide open.

Comments