Authentic: Pride & Things

 

It’s amazing how pride can sneak in…  this next lesson is about objects and I really thought I’d write about some treasures I have.  I will say in one breath that “things” don’t mean much to me or have too much value and in the very next breath I will want to do some retail therapy.

Today I served at BH and they asked me if I wanted some pajamas or shirts or… whatever else they had and I said “no that’s ok” but then they said “gloves” and I’m a sucker for gloves and almost always I can’t find one (so I always by the same kind so if I am missing one hopefully there is a match somewhere. 

But then someone ratted me out that I didn’t take anything so I said “fine I’ll look” and there were some cool Cuddledud shirts that are great for layering especially when I am doing things outside (I think I am going to try snowshoeing (like the real kind not me walking outside in my shoes). 

I was thinking about some people that I love that could use some shirts, etc, and I was going to text my friend at BH that it’s hard for me to accept things and I don’t know why.  I know that there are people who are in real need and me, not so much.

But I couldn’t hit send.  Because what I typed wasn’t entirely true  When I said that I didn’t know why.

The truth is I do know why it’s hard for me to accept things or even help.

Pride.

When I was a kid I really needed things like clothes, my pants were always too short and other kids would say “are you waiting for a flood?” and to this day, I hate short pants.   And my shoes had holes in them and I’d wear the soles right off my shoes.  Or I had holes in the knees of my pants from falling (I was always falling). And as my friends like to say “it’s a well crafted punch in the gut” when I realized that the reason I don’t like to accept things or help is because I don’t ever want anyone to feel sorry for me.  I will however ask for help when I know I can trust someone not to throw it back in my face.

And the stupid thing is if I need something why should I care what someone else thinks if I need something, it’s none of their business, and if they have something I need, wouldn’t I be robbing them of a blessing of the gift of giving if I won’t receive it?

I will tell you, I love my new gloves (both pairs LOL) and my new shirts (that I am going to wear this weekend serving outside), and I think I would have been sad later if I said no to these great blessings I was given.

 

Comments