Authentic Life: 10 Travel

 I always set Travel goals... i try to go to at least one state a year I've never been to and if somehow I can rope in two, that makes me pretty happy.  

I am thankful I at least really love the state I live in.  And I have friends that live all over the states so it's great to come and visit.  Normally when I set my goals, I choose my travel goals first, because let's be real, those are the most fun! But this year...  This year when I set my goals I set my financial goals first. They are the rock I built my goals around. I set long term goals and short term goals. In order to reach those goals I had to scale back my travel goals a little.

I did set a few visits to see my friends who live near Grand Rapids and a few visits to see my friends in Traverse City.  Normally i try to go somewhere warmish in the winter because i need to thaw out and get some sunshine but that wasn't part of the goals this year.  I needed a little get away so I set my course this weekend to Traverse City.  And it was the very perfect day for a drive the roads and the sky were clear!

As I was driving and the miles to my destination were growing closer I could feel the anticipation growing. I'd drive past a body of water and I'd think i can't wait to see the Bay! (Grand Traverse Bay) and when I was on 131 and I saw the beautiful blue water filled with white caps my soul took a breath.  

My mind instantly turned to one of gratefulness.  While settling my goals they seemed small and not very...  exciting is not the word I am looking for because there is nothing more I like than a local adventure with friends but they didn't seem very grand. 

One thing this last year has taught me is how very thankful I am for my life.  I find the greatest joy in the color palette of flowers God sets before me.  I am in wonder of the awesomeness of planting a seed and watching it grow into food that sustains us.  I never want to take one moment of Grace and God's love for granted in my life.  Not one moment.

I thought about how God intersects the moments in our lives with the moments of others and a crazy thing like friendship happens.  I went on a mission trip and I met some of the best people in my life on that trip, and I can't imagine my life without them.  

I was going to walk to get a pair of shoes today at the local running store in Traverse City but I just had to stay outside, and so I set a goal to do a 5K (I like goals what can i say).  It was COLD and a few times i wanted to turn around because i should have probably had a hat and gloves on but it was too late I was already too far in.  I thought about how a year ago I decided that I was going to start walking in the mornings for my physical and mental health (I ended up canceling my gym membership which helped me with my financial goals) and how much stronger i am today then I was then, both mentally and physically.  My friends and I sign up for virtual 5Ks and walk them together and achieve health goals, grow our friendship, dream, encourage, and support each other.  This also helps with my health goals (I told you I am a box checker!)

I have a trip scheduled to drive out of state to see a family member but other than than I am looking forward to my simple travel goals that will feed my soul.  I thought today, there's no place I'd rather be. That's a good feeling, that feeling of home.  Home, that feeling of peace, joy, comfort, and grace all at the same time.

Maybe one day I will dream of far away places (probably tomorrow HAHA) but today, I'll sit in thankfulness that my heart doesn't have far to travel to find peace.



Comments