Authentic: Unconventional



Courage is the most important of all the virtues, because without courage you can't practice any other virtue consistently. You can practice any virtue erratically, but nothing consistently without courage. -Maya Angelou 

When thinking about doing things the conventional way that seems so foreign. I was a girl raised by a single dad because my mom died. I raised a beautiful girl as a single mom and worked most of my career in a male dominated industry.  

Often i think of things that masquerade as normal and I'm not many of "those" things. 

You may or may not know but i set my goals to begin in September. It started that way because our youth pastor asked us to set goals and start at the beginning of the school year. I thought it was a great idea (that was 2012) and I've been doing it that way ever since. I typically do a check up in January and continue quarterly check ups. I also post them at my desk so they are always in view as a reminder. 

Every year i focus on one thing a little more than others. Everything pretty much gets set around that goal. 

Last year i set some pretty big financial goals (and just so you know i typically set them so they are both achievable and challenging) and i did really great but didn't achieve them all. I set most of my goals around that one, which meant i didnt travel as much as i would have liked to, i gave up the thought of a gym membership AND Praise the Lord for YNAB! Changed my life! 

This year as i thought and prayed about my goals, the word strong kept popping up! And so everything in my goals is about becoming stronger. Physically, mentally, and emotionally. 

So thinking about being strong emotionally i don't mean that i won't cry, i mean that i will feel my feelings, and I'll cry if i need to.  I know that might not seem "normal" but it is good to feel. 

I've apologized most of my life for having emotions and I've stuffed them in the most unhealthy ways. 

As with each year that i set my goals, i find myself a little more of who I'm meant to be. 

“But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong.”

‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭12:9-10‬ ‭ESV‬‬









Comments