Small things really do add up

I’ve been in Miami for a few days and its been great to relax and just be.  Even stayed in bed longer today instead of doing a 5K.  Because rest is important.

 

Yesterday, we did this really fun thing, we cleaned the trash off the beach in the morning.  Now, I know what you may be thinking… cleaning trash off the beach IS NOT FUN. But it was a beautiful morning and I had turned on my latest book I’ve been listening to “Radical Candor” by Kim Scott and was inspired by some new things to try.   I’d really recommend this book if you are a leader/manager in your organization or if you have aspirations to be a leader/manager.

 

I was cleaning out the beach, and most of the pieces I picked up were very small pieces of plastic.  I had a large bucket I was carrying and it was probably a third of the way full, not packed but enough.  Now originally, when I looked at the beach and the amount of people that were there to clean up the beach I thought “there’s nothing to really pick up, this is going to be a waste of time”

 

As I was listening and cleaning, I thought “small things really do add up”.  Now ironically I’m at a conference for investing – my friend is here for the conference, I am along for the ride!  I thought wow, even if I invest $100 a month or added $50 to my mortgage payment, that could really make a difference.  Each of picked up our trash and put it in one VERY large trash bag.  I thought WOW!  That’s amazing!  Together we made a difference. 

 

The organization we worked with was Surfrider Miami

 http://miami.surfrider.org if you are ever in Miami.



 

Comments