Growing in Storms


So if you know me, you know that you can say a word or a phrase and instantly i will probably start singing a song.

Storms - Storms, will come, this we know for sure, can you stand the rain?

Also if you know me, you know you can find me in my garden... lately pulling weeds and watering.  

I was looking at these beautiful Coreopsis and noticed how after the storm some fell and some stayed standing tall after the rain.  The reason? I don't really know.  It got me thinking though that storms can affect us in many ways.  We can get knocked down by a storm in our life and just lay there or we can work on our foundation and stand back up OR we can ask for help to get back up.  I did shake off these flowers with the extra water left behind so they can stand back up.

I was also thinking about how our blooms and showing off can knock us over and sometimes we need to be pruned to humble ourselves so that we can be stronger and bloom even more.  I planted those flowers last year from seed, and they didn't grow more than 18" tall and this year after a hardening of the roots after I cut them back in preparation of a winter and the new sun of spring, some of them are nearly 3 ft tall and there are more of them.  

To everything there is a season.  

I've recently started a new job and i was really good at my previous job.  Everyone I talked to before I started told me i was going to do great, but I was nervous and knew I had a lot of learn.  In the past I would have probably used the protection of "getting big" and been too afraid to admit i don't know a lot of things.  But I didn't. I just admit when I make a mistake because I didn't know, and i learn from it.  I have tried to ask a lot of questions, make myself small, except when needed.  I am the leader of a very strong, diverse in knowledge team, and I can say I've probably learned more in the last two months than i did in the last two years and I love it!  I want to be a life long learner and encourager of others!

My garden reminds me of so many things, be willing to be pruned, it only makes you stronger and produce more fruit and blooms

Ask for help 

And shake it off and keep growing

Storms will come, this i know for sure. I can stand the rain.

Comments

Alice Pat said…
Good thoughts. Your new job sounds fabulous. And I love coreopsis, although they do like to flop down sometimes :)