Lessons in the garden - till the end


Get it till the end 😂😂

 I got back from Mexico on Saturday morning (2am) after a long week. I couldn't wait to get in the garden. 


The garden is winding down. People ask me about gardening all the time and this year i feel like i could have written a MasterClass about what not to do. 


Planted my beds to close together (actually taking them out and donating them to the community garden) and planting blueberries in the spot. Didn't water as much as i should have. Watched too many reels about over planting which might work for some people but did not work for me because i don't have time

To devote every waking moment to pruning for space and this is saying a lot because I'm already an over planter. I tried using stakes instead of cages and then didn't have time to "train" them and didn't get near the harvest i usually get - which might have been good- since I wasn't home. Spoon tomatoes are adorable but not practical. Critters. Vine borers. 


I say all that only to say... i had a great gardening year! I learned so much. I 

Started earlier this year and didn't stress myself out. Planted a beautiful stretch of flowers along the fence that greets me every day and planted most of it from seed. Planted a beautiful stretch along the driveway that brings color and joy to me (and hopefully my neighbors). I also fixed my lamppost. My hanging baskets made it to September. I learned a LOT of lessons. I found peace and rest in my garden. I relaxed in the hammock. I had friends over. I harvested and shared the harvest. I even saved a blueberry plant i almost killed. I even taught a winter sowing class. 


I've got a better plan for next year - which means I'll have a plan ðŸ˜‚. I'm clearing out the beds and preparing now for spring so there is an easier spring. 



Don't ya just love bee butts?


I learned the joy of faithfulness and perseverance. I learned to be teachable and to listen to Gods voice. My prayer life was deepened. The lesson to growth in harsh conditions was taught to me so well.  I learned it's not always all or nothing and that is beautiful in itself. I learned to let go of the things that don't matter (my mulch in the back doesn't all match). 


I've got a few more weeks of gardening done as it winds down 


Every year, win or lose, i become a better gardener because i learn. 


Comments

Mrs. Mac said…
The garden and process of gardening is a great teacher for tending to life in general. I'm glad you find peace in the process.

Hugs,